We currently provide behind the ear (BTE) digital hearing aids. An ear mould or soft 'dome' sits in the ear and the hearing aid sits behind the ear.
Digital hearing aids have a built-in microphone which picks up sound which is then processed using a miniature computer chip, before being delivered to the ear. We only provide digital hearing aids at Rotherham Audiology Services.
The telecoil or Loop (T) system allows your hearing aids to pick up sound from listening equipment. Sound is transferred directly to your hearing aid which cuts out background noise. Hearing aids can be set to remove all background noise, or can have a combination of loop system and normal function.
Batteries can be collected from the Ear Care and Audiology Services reception on the First Floor at the Rotherham Community Health Centre between the hours of 9.00am and 5.00pm Monday-Friday. Batteries can also be sent by post to patients who struggle to attend clinics, if requested by telephone or email.
Every 4-6 months your hearing aid tubing should be replaced. We produce a leaflet which shows you how to do this. Minor repairs and adjustments, such as tubing replacement, are now carried out by appointment only. Please ring 01709 423145 or 423207
Batteries and tubing replacement can also be collected from local support centre:
- Maltby Joint Service Centre, Braithwell Road S66 8JE Wednesdays, 3.00pm-4.00pm
Your hearing aid should be kept clean. To do this:-
- The main body of the hearing aid should only be wiped with a dry tissue or towel.
- Wipe the ear mould with a damp cloth or tissue (e.g. baby wipe, make up remover) and pick any wax out of the tip with the 'eye' end of a needle.
- Patients with micro tubing should wipe the ear buds with a dry tissue and the cleaning wire should be pushed through the micro tube at least once a week.
- Patients with ear moulds may also wish to enquire about tube cleaning wires which can be purchased at £6.50 for 30 wires.
If you have problems with your aid or you wish to purchase 'Stay dry' tubing for your hearing aid or condensation removers please ring 01709 423145 or 423207 for an appointment. We are no longer able to provide drop-in sessions, although the charity Action On Hearing Loss do provide a drop-in service for batteries and tubing only at various centres throughout the Rotherham area. Please see the link below (www.rnid.org.uk)
If you lose or damage your hearing aid beyond repair, you will be charged £75 for a replacement aid.You will be required to complete a form which is available from reception. In certain circumstances, such as being aged 85 or over, the fee is waived.